Tuesday, June 19, 2007

One word for the desert...HOT!

After our last blog in Santa Fe, we drove to Taos, NM. It was raining and cold and almost dark when we arrived at the campground, so we didn't feel like setting up a tent. We called a few B&B's looking for a rainy night discount, but it just wasn't happening. We bit the bullet and set up in the rain. I met a girl (Elena) in the bathroom who had quit her job and was traveling for 6 months with her boyfriend who had also quit his job. We shared some similar stories.

The next morning I woke up with a sore shoulder. I prayed all day that it wouldn't last long or that God would bring me a Massage Therapist(MT). (I had had the same pain for 4 months at one time)

We found Jonathon and Elena at their campsite and shared more similar stories. We went into town for lunch and to check out a Pueblo. Jim was impressed with the history and the simple living of the Taos Indians. I wanted to buy some bread that had been baked in adobe mounds called hornos, but they didn't have a credit card machine.



Later that evening we went out for pizza with Jonathon and Elena and had a great time. We showed them Jim's movie, "Burying Daniel", in the laundry room. We didn't hear any laughing over the washers and dryers...we're pretty sure there wasn't any.





The next morning, Jim made friends with a guy walking by named Evan. He just happened to be a MT. He worked on by back/shoulder and did some adjusting of my spine. I was a new woman. Praise the Lord! I was completely healed by the next day. He worked on Jim, Jonathan and Elena too. We never checked his credentials, but I'm sure he had them handy.



We then drove to the Great Sand Dunes in CO and hiked the dunes. We hiked the mountains the next day. It's been my favorite hike so far...finally some trees!






We then drove to Denver, CO to stay with Jim's friend Beth and her husband Doc. They made us an awesome meal and we hung out late enjoying fellowship with them and their family. It was an incredible time to be refreshed. We did laundry and dishes and slept in a real bed. They were incredibly gracious to us!




We then went to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. We got some great pictures/video of elk...it was amazing to be so close to wildlife! On one scenic stop, we passed a guy walking with a crutch/cane on each arm. I knew he had been in some sort of accident, and I wanted to stop and get his story, but I didn't. When we walked back by him, I told Jim to strike up conversation. (He is awesome at that!) A little into the
conversation, he (Mathew) told us his story without us asking. He had an incredible testimony of Jesus saving him after a car
accident that put him into a coma for 30 days. God has been healing him physically and spiritually for the past 7 years. He was there with his friend Mary and we had an awesome time of fellowship and prayer on the mountain. Matthew told me that he knew I wanted to know his story.

It was late when we got to the bottom of the mountain, so we drove West knowing we wanted to make our way to Utah. By midnight we had enough, so we stopped in Frisco, CO hoping there would be a Walmart where we could sleep. Wouldn't you know it, there it was! We brushed our teeth at the 7-11 and hunkered down in the car in the Walmart parking lot. I woke up laughing histerically when Jim stood in the parking lot with his sleeping bag wrapped around him asking me to take his picture.

We stopped in Vail, CO for a hike (so far Jim's favorite hike and he wants to move to CO). We then made our way to Arches National Park. After sleeping in the desert, we hiked the next day and then drove to Bryce Canyon, UT. On our drive, I looked for a campground with a shower. (It had been a couple of days) Jim wasn't quite ready for a shower and didn't think I needed one either. He doesn't like to pay extra for the better accommodations (hence, the Walmart). We compromised and stayed at a campground with 8 minute showers for 8 quarters. (8 minutes is a lot longer than you think)

The next day, we hiked Bryce Canyon and Red Canyon (red rock is beautiful, but enough already).

We woke up this morning and went rollerblading on a paved trail by our campground. Let me just say, it was not the Silver Comet Trail! Rollerblading in the mountains, I do not recommend. We are at the library in Panguitch on our way to Zion National Park and then the Grand Canyon in a few days.

Prayer Request: Along with some great God stories, there have also been some failures as well. Jim saw this older man and his wife on top of a mountain in Utah filling up their radiator with water in the extreme heat. He didn't stop and felt very convicted afterwards. Please pray that we will be more obedient in this area...to be available and to help people.

Peace and Love,

Jim & Kristi

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're seeing the most beautiful part of the country. Post some photos!

Miss you guys.

Heather said...

So good to hear the neat stories. Remember God gives grace to us and to not feel guilt over what might have/could have happened. Learn from it and move forward. We will certainly continue to keep you in our prayers. God is definitely doing a great work in your lives and I'm sure you won't know all the lives you touched along the way. What a cool testimony you guys have and I look forward to "reading along" as you continue your journey. It's fun because I feel as though we are there with you .. in spirit of course you wouldn't want a 2 1/2 and 1 year old tagging along slowing you down :) If you decide to come to NC before heading back to GA look us up!!!

Anonymous said...

The four walls of my office are crowding in!

This trip is so YOU! I had no idea that we had true traveling evangelists in our midst all this time.

Have now caught up on the blogs and are waiting for more. Thanks for taking the time to keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

I am living vicariously through your blog Jimmy Jangle. Loving every minute of it. Remember what Mark 11:24 says ... whatsoever things you desire when you pray, BELIEVE that you you receive them and you SHALL have them. Father, in the name of Jesus, I pray that the you would continue to open Jim and Kristi's eyes of understanding. Continue to grant them a spirit of wisdom and revelation. I ask that you would give them spiritual eyes and ears to see and hear with. Bless them in their journey in Jesus name. Thanks again, Kristi, for interceding on my behalf. Blessings on you both. The Copee